- Pendants are a classic gift. Traditionally, pendants were almost always a solitaire diamond or a heart. However, jewelry trends have changed drastically, especially over the past decade or so. Diamond solitaire pendants are still very popular. But, if your budget does not allow for diamonds, there are other options. This pendant is still along the lines of traditional, but uses a garnet as the center stone, rather than a diamond. As I have discussed in other posts, colored gemstones are quickly becoming one of the hottest jewelry trends of 2012. This type of pendant is a timeless piece that will always remain in style.
- Heart pendants are still popular as well. The classic sort of heart pendant with a diamond in the middle are still frequently requested. However, there are also some more modern styles that are also beautiful. Some incorporate hearts that are offset so that they lay diagonally, which is a look I personally love. The photo on the right shows an example of a more modern type of heart pendant. Many people who are dating, but not engaged, want something simpler. I also feel as if men who are not thinking about engagement yet are somewhat intimidated by coming in to a jewelry store other than the jewelry section of a big box retailer they happen to be visiting. However, we are able to design or order any type of piece to fit your needs. An example is this heart and butterfly pendant on the right, which has been a popular item in the recent year.
- One of my absolute favorite style of pendant is the journey style. What I like about these, is they can be designed in a more traditional, or modern way, as shown in the photos. In addition, there is no hard fast rule that diamonds must be used as the stones in a journey pendant. I have designed journey pendants with everything from pink sapphires to emeralds. There are no rules for this type of jewelry. If your significant other prefers rubies rather than diamonds, you shouldn't feel pressured to buy a diamond pendant because it is the stereotypical norm.
- Circles and stars are still popular shapes for pendants. I find that the younger generation tends to gravitate towards the star pendants, but this is in no way a hard and fast rule. Circle pendants became popular in the early 2000's and then died off in popularity. Recently though, they have become commonly requested again. I personally love the look of the circle pendants and feel they are always in fashion, but they may be considered too trendy for some tastes.
- Another idea is to buy a pendant that uses both white and yellow gold. You have to be a bit careful when buying these as a gift, because some women do not at all like mixing different colors of gold in their jewelry. I like these because they are versatile. One very popular design pictured on the right encompasses both the circle and journey styles I previously discussed. Those of you who read my blogs regularly know that I am a huge fan of unique and different jewelry, so it is no wonder I like these mixed gold styles. The design on the left is another example of a statement piece that is sure to be a conversation starter.
- Journey spirals are another popular great gift idea. I find that these tend to be more popular with the younger generation. I have always like the spiral design and I have designed several using emeralds and diamonds rather than just diamonds all around. This design has a unique look and it is sure to bring a smile to the face of anyone who receives it.
- Finally, one of my absolute favorite designs is this yellow and white diamonds double heart pendant. First, this piece incorporates the colored stone trend. Yellow diamonds are beautiful. This piece also incorporates the two tone trend. This is one of my absolute favorites, and it is downright breathtaking in person. It is worth noting that this can be customized to use only yellow or only white gold. It looks beautiful regardless of which gold you choose.
As a final note, don't forget about customization. Inscribing something personal on a pendant makes the gift that much more meaningful and shows that you really took the time to design a piece of jewelry with your significant other in mind rather than choosing a mass produced piece at a mall jewelry store. At Gale Diamonds, we love to help you customize your jewelry to give it that extra special touch. We encourage you to come up with a unique inscription that has special meaning for your relationship.
So, now that we have gone over the basic styles of pendants, let me know what you think. Post your opinions, thoughts and comments below and I will be sure to respond. Also let me know if there are other types of pendants or stones you would like to learn more about or see photos of. Please give me a call or send me an email if there is anything I can do to help. Call 312-920-0075 from 10am-6pm Central Time and I would be happy to chat and answer any of your questions. My job is to help make holiday and birthday jewelry shopping time less stressful on your mind and your budget. Don't forget to plan and shop early! Taking the time to think about and design the perfect piece makes the gift that much more special. Thanks for reading, don't forget to comment, and stay tuned for the follow up guide to buying bracelets for holiday or birthday gifts.